From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2005 15:58:38 -0500
I guess no one's heard further from Tom Rice since his first email
after the tsunami.

I've been trying to glean news about the places I've shelled in Asia
that were likely affected. My fond memories are now clouded by concern
for the kind people I met.

Varkala, Kerala in India may have been spared serious damage, although
the hotel I stayed at was located in a rice paddy possibly even below
sea level.

Kamala Beach on Phuket was seriously hit.

Ko Yao Noi, northeast of Phuket, may have been protected enough by its
location in the Phuket Sea. But the stilt houses didn't look like they
could withstand much surge if it occurred.

Dodanduwa and Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka, were totally inundated according to
accounts I've read. Hikkaduwa was a terrific place for shelling (in my
experience) right where the tourists were thickest.

Ko Tao and Ko Samui in the Gulf of Thailand were apparently unaffected
owing to the Malay peninsula; I haven't seen any mention of problems in
that direction.

If anyone knows more about these locations, I'd appreciate hearing
about it.

Happy New Year -- and I hope listfolks will make a point of
contributing to material/medical aid efforts, sorely needed long after
the TV cameras depart from the region.

David Kirsh
Durham, NC