From:
Bert Bartleson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:02:50 -0800
Tom, It looks similar to a species we have in Puget Sound (Washington State,
U.S.A.)that's an echinoderm (holothurian).  It's called Psolus chitonoides,
(a sea cucumber "resembling a chiton").  The description states; "the shape
of a short cucumber sliced lengthwise, for one side of it- the side with the
tube feet-is almost perfectly flat. It clings tightly to rocks and is
essentially sedentary.  The upper surface is covered with overlapping
calcareous plates, and the mouth is situated on this surface some distance
from the anterior end.  The color is orange; it's abundant in deeper water
and its 5 cm in length." There is also another species I've never seen,
listed as Psolidium bullatum which is smaller (3 cm) and pinkish-purple. I
don't know if a similar species exists in Taiwan but it might be useful to
ask an expert or look in marine biology texts.  Our species is only found in
dredged materials or by divers, not intertidally. Bert Bartleson