From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 12:05:11 -0600
James,

The mixture not to try is ammonia and chlorine bleach, which produces toxic
chlorine gas. As a general rule, it's not a good idea to breathe any
colorful vapors while cleaning shells.

A websearch for "baking soda and bleach" (in quotes) yielded this household
tidbit from a floor-cleaning website at
http://cleaning.lifetips.com/cat/851/floor-cleaning-stain-removal/index.html

"To remove stains from marble, make a paste of baking soda and bleach and
cover the stain with the paste. Cover the paste with a damp cloth, leave
overnight, then wet down and scrape off residue. Rinse thoroughly. Or, you
could try a commercial marble cleaner."

I think it probably goes without saying that wearing plastic or latex gloves
would be a good idea too. Also, it's best to try out any new technique on a
shell you don't care about. But you knew this already! I'm just including it
for the novices out there among the lurkers.

There were plenty of other websites listed but I leave that as an exercise
for the student. Does anyone out there have actual experience with using
this on shells -- or, for that matter, on floors?

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew K. Rindsberg
Geological Survey of Alabama