From:
Charles F Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 07:30:24 -0500
Jim,

What do you want to use the cotton for? If you use it to chushion shells
you might want to consider using "polyester cotton" or polyester batting.
Cotton may be acidic and thus detrimental to shells. Polyester is
considered by many to be safer.

Archival polyester cotton can be purchased from places such as University
products and Gaylords (among others) or purchased at many craft stores.

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History
                     Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine