From:
John Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:17:15 -0400
There is no disputing that Walter O. Cernohorsky has contributed a great
amount of published work to malacology, not only in Mitridae. And I am
delighted to see that the great author is still involved. Also there is no
denying that criticism or revision of a work is far less difficult than the
original effort.

But Richard Salisbury's comments/opinions on Ziba vs Subcancilla, which
were merely a reply to Olivier Caro, could not possibly be taken as an
insult. In no way did he suggest faking of any kind, but I apologize for
publishing them to the entire list.

However, to infer that anyone's work is beyond review, critique, and
updating, is unseemly. All of science progresses by building on previous
work. My own mitrid database -- which is fluid and far from infallible --
lists corrections for every paper and book on mitrids that I own, and
currently lists 36 corrections or differences of opinion from the two parts
of "Mitridae of the World". The majority may well be a question of
"lumping" vs. "splitting".

John