From:
Marcus Coltro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:34:47 -0300
It is amazing what people are capable to do when money is involved. Anyone
there know how much money the medicine industry can make with a patent of a
single conotoxin protein? We are talking about billions of dollars! Now,
they think collectors shouldn't touch "their" right to kill shells and
extract the toxins...

Collectors help to preserve knowledge and always helped scientists, right?
To say collectors are responsible for depleting any shell species is insane!
Shell craft may be involved to a certain level, but pollution is the main
reason why some species are becoming scarce.

If they are so concerned about protecting shells why don't they go to the
Philippines and try to convince all those families to stop selling shells
for decoration purposes? Or to shops in Europe or USA? Strombus gigas is
listed in CITES but you can buy the shells or eat its meat anywhere in the
entire Caribbean.

Several times I have seen even on Conch-L requests for soft parts of Conus.
Even myself have sent several times shells to these "scientists" charging
just postage. What they never tell us is how much money they make with those
"poor animals";

I do respect CITES even when I do not agree with some shells placed there.
Now, if they put the entire Conidae there certainly a huge reaction will be
taken!

Marcus

Chegou o que faltava: MSN Acesso Grátis. Instale Já!
http://www.msn.com.br/discador