From:
Charles F Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 20:21:10 -0400
I will second Paul's shipping comments and even take them a step further.
I like to have at least 2 inches of padding on all sides. I once received
a specimen from a dealer. It was the type of box that checkbooks come in.
The box was thin heavy paper. The specimens were crushed. There were only
a few sheets of tissue protecting the specimen. Needless to say, I have
not done further business with this individual.

I pack all specimens, common or rare, to the same standards. Heavy
cardboard boxes, adequate padding around the specimens, and all specimens
packed with their labels. It's the least the person on the receiving end
should expect.

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
                      Carnegie Museum of Natural History
                     Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine