From:
Alan Kabat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 21:46:27 EST
We are pleased to announce the posting, on the website of the American
Malacological Society, of the Third Edition of the following publication:

Eugene V. Coan, Alan R. Kabat & Richard E. Petit (2006), "2,400 Years of
Malacology," online at:

http://www.malacological.org/publications/epubs.html

This publication of 664 pages is a comprehensive catalog of biographical and
bibliographical papers on malacologists, conchologists, paleontologists, and
others with an interest in mollusks.  This publication also provides links to
online digitized works in systematic malacology.

Since the posting of the first edition (June 2004), and the second edition
(January 2005), we have received comments and additions from a number of
colleagues - for which we are most grateful - and we have continued our own searching
through the literature.

The Third Edition has more complete coverage of paleontologists, largely from
Cleevely (1983) and Lambrecht, et al. (1938), as well as more extensive
coverage of the nineteenth-century explorers and naturalists in Central and South
America.

Also, an increasing number of important historical and reference works are
being digitized and made available online, such as the entire set of the
"Challenger" Expedition volumes, the "Systema Naturae" of Linnaeus (1758) (and many
other works available online through "Animalbase" and "Gallica"), Neave's
"Nomenclator Zoologicus," and Sherborn's "Index Animalium."  These digitization
projects are invaluable in making rare publications more readily accessible.

We have also continued to pursue those individuals whose contributions to
malacology are assuredly less well known than their contributions to other
fields.  Among the new entries is Hans Christian Andersen, the well-known Danish
author of children's stories, who turns out to have been an avid collector of
land and fresh-water mollusks.

As before, this catalog is a work in progress, and we plan to continue
posting updated versions on a periodic basis.  We encourage readers to explore and
use this catalog, and we look forward to receiving your comments, and citations
to new or overlooked papers.

Gene Coan
Alan Kabat
Richard Petit