From:
Alex Sassi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:18:15 -0500
Russ and Ross -
Well, to be honest, when we got the explanation from the professor at UW
(we didn't write his name down), I have to admit I was skeptical, because I
found them just a matter of a few feet from more typical color forms, and
the habitat didn't seem to be different.

On another note, N. lamellosa is still one of my favorite shells because of
their variation - especially the banded, frilled ones.  My non-shell
collecting friends are always amazed when I show them one and then tell
them it's from Puget Sound!

The other day I was wondering whether the purple color might have the same
chemistry or related chemistry to the secreted substance used to dye
textiles purple?  I have observed secretions from Acanthina lugubris turn
purple on prolonged exposure to light. I wonder if any indigenous peoples
of California dyed textiles in a similar fashion to those farther south
along the mainland Mexican coast?

Greetings from rainy Berkeley, CA
Alex

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 23:11:47 -0800, Russ Webb <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Ross,
>
>I think that you are correct. Nucella lamellosa collected in a very small
area can have considerable variation.

http://s14.invisionfree.com/Conchologist_Forum/index.php?showtopic=151&st=0&

>And there is a purple one in the center.
>
>Russ

as i know, certain populations of N. lappilus L. take the cake, however.
At one locality near Halifax, Nova Scotia, i have collected almost 80
distinct color/pattern combinations - including an analogue of your
lavender color, which alas also fades drastically!!  I really don't think
it has anything to do with what the critters eat, however: there is only a
limited, shared variety of food sources here,  yet you get a completely
wild variation of colors.