From:
"Harry G. Lee, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 07:46:11 -0400
Dear Bob, Betty, et al.,

At least some heart urchins [including one which I identified as Meoma
ventricosa ventricosa (Lamarck, 1816), apparently not Moira atropos
(Lamarck, 1816) of Alan Gettleman, which was said to be one half its size]
have an voracious appetite for mollusks.  In Jacksonville, as a resource for
micromollusks, their digestive tracts are more provident than those of
seastars, and can approach the productivity of batfish.  We have gotten many
dozens of species by dissecting M. v. v. trawled as Calico Scallop bycatch.

Harry

At 06:32 PM 8/16/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Robert and Betty Lipe wrote:
>
>> A couple of winters ago, we had a large kill of heart unchins here in
>> the Tampa Bay Area.
>
>if one should investigate these urchins properly, you should find some
>rare small bivalves attached to its spines on the oral side.Constantine.

Harry G. Lee
mailto:[log in to unmask]
Suite 500, 1801 Barrs Street
Jacksonville, FL  32204
U. S. A.    904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm

Two rules for life:
1. Don't tell people everything you know.
2.