From:
Betty Jean Piech <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 22:08:39 -0400
Dear Mark - S

Dear Mark:  SEE BELOW

At 10:50 AM 8/19/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Lynn, you wrote:
>
>There is no host club. (Louisville did have a shell club until about 1990,
>but it no longer functions.)
>
>If this is the case then why have a COA convention in Louisville????
>
>I'm sure there are a few cites that have clubs and would be willing to host.
>It seems having a club host the convention would help to lighten the load on
>the COA members....mark

Dear Mark and anyone else who may be interested:

I am rather snowed under right now with family problems, but  I really wanted
to make some comments regarding your email about  COA Conventions.

Yes, there are quite a few shell clubs, but not many  with enough members  to
put on a Convention, it is really a BIG undertaking and requires a tremendous
amount of work.  As far as I know, no club offered  to host the 1999
Convention.  We should all be thankful that Gene Everson volunteered to
take on
the job; and that he has two such great co-workers  as Lynn and Bobbie.  I
don’t know where they  find the time,  both have very time-consuming jobs -
one
as American Conchologist Editor and other as Treasurer.   And you know, if
Gene hadn’t offered,  we just might not be having a 1999 Convention.

From what Lynn had to report there are already  several others that have
agreed
to help.  That’s great.  My small contribution was that I have offered to come
a day early and help with registration, or whatever else they might want me to
do.    I am only sorry I can’t do more.

Mark, you made the comment that “having a club host the convention would help
to lighten the load on the COA members.”   I feel quite the opposite.  Many of
us do nothing for COA but pay our dues.   Here is an opportunity to  help
support  the organization we all enjoy so much, and  show our appreciation to
Gene, Lynn and Bobbie.  If we are unable to physically help,  we can at least
say “Thank you.”

Betty Jean, The Tall One

P.S.   I have never worked on a COA Convention, so maybe not all of my
comments
are appropriate or suitable.  If so, I hope one or all of the three will set
the record straight.   BJP

Betty Jean Piech
Hockessin DE,USA
_@/-The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.-\@_