From:
Benjamin Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 09:31:22 -0500
Marlene,

I am currently writing my dissertation that addresses this precise
issue. I have been working in Ecuador for 10 years (mostly just summers)
on this problem. It seems that the story has become much larger than the
actual archaeological evidence. It seems that the 'warm' waters are more
variable than the writings out there make it seem and, as both Marcus
and Julio point out, both S. princeps and calcifer are available in
northern Peru (though perhaps not in the same quantity). Spondylus is
often discussed as a link between Ecuador and Peru, but if Spondylus
could be found on the Peruvian coast, can we say that the Spondylus
recovered in Peru indicates links with Ecuador?

If you are interested, I can send you some readings on the topic.A great
place to start is anything written by Izumi Shimada, who studies the
Sican (Lambayeque) culture of Northern Peru. The burials that they
excavated contained some amazing shell artifacts along with whole
shells. Perhaps we should include them in the Famous Shell collectors list.

Ben