From:
mike gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 09:18:01 -0500
Paolo G. Albano wrote:
> We have found some juvenile bivalves attached to a
> crab of genus Galathea.  Some Chlamys varia and
> probably another species, but too juvenile to
> identify.
>
> Is there any published record of similar cases
> worldwide?
>
> Thanks, Paolo

Here in SoFla we call them decorator crabs, any of several genus that
cover themselves or allow growth that provides protection and camoflage.

Teardrops (Pelia mutica) and two-horn decorators (Microphrys bicomuta)
are very common and heavily encrusted with sponges and sessile juveniles.

I've also taken large lobsters with hard shells (long time since they
molted) that have growth, but I never examined them for juvenile bivalves.