From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2007 12:19:57 -0600
> Sea Cockroaches as mollusks?  I've seen photos of a deep sea anthropod that
> I believe was called a 'Sea Cockroach'.  On the other hand maybe the article
> is referring to chitons?

Cockroach Bay, south of Tampa, Florida, derives from a Spanish name
for horsehoe crabs.  A common large isopod, found near marine to
brackish waters (i.e., usually a meter or two out of the water) is
called a sea roach; the name might also be applied to other isopods.
Since the article appears a bit garbled in translation, it's possible
that an arthropod is being listed as a mollusk or that there's some
mollusk (chiton? sea slug?) locally known as a cockroach.

If the preserve includes any land areas, that will probably be more
important for molluscan conservation, since non-marine species are
incredibly diverse in Cuba and include many local endemics, a
situation less common in the marine realm as far as is known.  Not
that marine preserves aren't imporant, but land and freshwater even
more so because of the extent of human impact and often very limited
dispersal options.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections