From:
Alan Gettleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 18:07:24 -0400
Alex,
Joseph Bequaert in Studies in the Acatininae, A group of African Land
Snails, Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology 105:1, Sep 1950,
mentions the largest specimen that he saw was 171mm, greatest width 81mm,
Apeture 74mm length, 42.5mm Width and 8 2/3 whorls (p.75).  He indicates the
largest shells tend to be thinner, and mentions (p.76) a 1926 report from
Malaya that large shells get to 6 1/2" or 170mm.  Also of curiosity in 1950
there were only three sinistral specimens known.  With the unfortunate
proliferation of this pesky snail, sinistral specimens are no longer rare. I
presume with current expanded range of that sp, there would be other shells
in the range of your specimen.

For curiosity, Bequaert lists A. achatina up to 194 mm long and 106 mm
width.  While everyone is checking their land snails, are there larger ones
of that monster species around?  My shell is a mere baby at about 175mm...

Alan Gettleman
Merritt Island, Florida