From:
Franck Frydman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2007 00:23:37 +0200
I fully agree with Pete Krull who says: "The term "range extension" to me
means that someone has found a naturally occurring, long standing population
outside of the area where we already knew they lived. The "range" of many
species is greater than what we know at any point in time only because we
haven't discovered the true limits to that range.An "introduction", by
definition, is not a range extension." as, according to me too, as far as
the the new H. kajiyamai populations are concerned we are dealing with
introductions , not range extensions. That is why I had used the hypothesis
of a kajiyamai population thriving in Martinique.
A good (and true) example is, near Paris, France in the Rambouillet forest a
small population of ... wallabies (Macropus rufogriseus) which cannot be
considered as an extension range but as an introduction: The specimens which
gave birth to this small population escaped from a zoological reserve thirty
years ago and thus have bred naturally till now...
However if we can give some  species adaptability and longevity even without
knowing it, why not? If Macropus rufogriseus disappears from Australia and
Tasmania we will be happy to still have some near Paris ;-)...

--
J'utilise la version gratuíte de SPAMfighter pour utilisateurs privés.
Ce programme a supprimé5502 d'e-mails spam à ce jour.