From:
Shireen Gonzaga <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 16:03:11 -0400
Hello,

this subject has been discussed in the past... I've read
the archive postings about it, and been confused by all the
various replies. I'm not a biologist by training, so forgive
me if the question sounds dumb.

A bunch of us were at the Smithsonian Div of Molluscs
last Saturday, and Raye Germon showed us the "alcohol" room.
- All cephalopods are stored in 70% isopropyl alcohol.
  This apparently keeps the tissue from becoming too hard so that
  dissections can be performed, if needed.
- shell molluscs are stored in 70% ethyl alcohol
- Formalin is not used because it destroys the shell.

OK, say for instance, that us collectors are asked to supply preserved
specimens for scientists doing histological and genetic studies. How
would we preserve the specimens? Formalin for the former, and ethyl
alcohol for the latter? Or stay away from formalin completely?

I realize there would be a distinction btwn. preserving specimens for
long-term preservation (such as what's needed for museums like NMNH),
and for preserving for scientists doing work on the specimens within
months to a year of receiving them. Can someone explain to me the best
choice of liquid for preservation in the case of "short-term" study?
(By the way, I'm not just interested in this question for molluscs, but
also for fish and crustaceans.)

While I have your attention, does anyone have suggestions on where to get
dissecting instruments (flat trays, scalpels, etc...)

Thanks,
        Shireen
Shireen Gonzaga, Freelance Science Writer, Baltimore, MD.
Telephone: 410-338-4412   E-mail: [log in to unmask]