From:
Olivier Caro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:36:13 +0200
Dear List

First, my files on Haliotis marmorata and tuberculata along Atlantic
coast were updated.
New material came, that clearly show the differences between both taxa.
In particular, some shells that were found under the same rocks along
Almadies seashore deserve to be examined : two are finely sculptured
marmoratas, one is a... pure "lamellosa"... Very different from the
Moroccan design.
The question that could be asked: is this lamellosa at it right place?
Was it fished in mediterranean , then stored in the same bag or box than
"normal" marmos?
In fact, I saw here and there on the net some "marmoratas" from Almadies
that looked very, very mediterranean. We need a serious guy to confirm
in situ, gentle folks.
The adress: http://perso.numericable.fr/idscaro/06_disc/200807/index.htm

Second: I met tuberculata, alongside with Charonia lampas, in little
canyons at 20-25m deep, off Groix island, southern Brittany, and also in
some ponds (the abalones are farmed here).
Groix is regarded as one of the pearls of the Ocean, here in France, and
deserves to be visited. A wonderful island, really, with strong
brittanic characteristics, as it can be seen here:
http://perso.numericable.fr/idscaro/06_disc/200808/index.htm
Enez-Groe in the wind...

Happy readings

Olivier Caro