From:
"Kim C. Hutsell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 15:19:39 -0700
Andrew K. Rindsberg wrote:

> In the "Winterized Mollusks" thread, Paul Monfils cites some interesting
> observations on mass mortality (death) of mollusks, which can often be of
> particular species. I'd like to hear from people who have witnessed such
> events, on land, sea, or freshwater. What species were involved in the mass
> mortality? What was the cause of death, if known? In what season or month
> did this occur?
>
> Andrew K. Rindsberg
> Geological Survey of Alabama
> Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA

In March of 1991, there was a mass die-off of Trachycardium consors in the Bahia Concepcion, on the east side of
Baja California. Trachycardium panamense, which live in the same area, were not affected.  Nor were any other
species.  Hundreds of T. consors were sitting partially open on the surface of the sand. The shells were not
damaged in any way, which would rule out feeding activity by rays or other large preditors. No abnormal weather
patterns or extreme fluctuations in water temperature had taken place preceding the die-off. And, T. consors is
not a normal food item among the locals.  ???

Kim Hutsell