From:
John Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 08:39:38 -0500
>2) What sorts of collecting bags/bottles/etc. do people prefer for
>snorkling?  How about for diving?  Why?

My preference is a sturdy plastic container such as a medicine bottle about
4-5 inches (12 cm) high, 2 to 3 inches (6 cm)  diameter with screw top. Cut
a large hole in the top, then cement in a slit piece of rubber (tire inner
tube) so that small shells can be slipped through the slit without need to
open the top. A further refinement is required: drill holes in the
container to permit air to escape, then attach a wrist strap from a dive shop.
In addition to this container, you may want a mesh bag for large items and
a film canister (with a hole punched to let air out) for really small items.
For delicate or valuable small items, a friend prefers a small cloth bag,
maybe 4 inches square, sewn together by his wife, closed by a Velcro flap,
and attached to a strap ending in a shower curtain ring.

John Wolff
2640 Breezewood Dr.
Lancaster, PA 17601, U.S.A
717- 569-6955 (voice)