Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 10:57:19 -0500
>>  Once again I
>> > will say that I would like to see some of you new members say something.
>> > Don't just sit there and read.  Say SOMETHING!

I'm a newcomer, lurking and only posting very infrequently, for 6 months now.

I am an amateur sheller, and have no scientific background. I just like the
beach, the shells, and learning a bit about the habitats and environments
molluscs and I both share.

Yes, sometimes the conversations get ahead of my capabilities to understand.
But I read them all. I enjoy reading even the hard ones because I like
learning this subject, and occasionally some connection makes it through.

For example, the recent discussion on species, I found very interesting.
"What makes a species?" was a question I had never considered before. As I
read the responses, I learned the idea of 'species' is a fluid and sometimes
objective entity. Now I look at the world a little differently.

I've enjoyed the discussions about molluscs at the deep ocean, especially
because I like the giant squid. I didn't understand it all, but I learned
what 'pelagic' and 'benthypelagic' is and now I want to know more. So I went
out and got a book and,... ok, to be honest, I'm still only looking at the
pictures, but the intent is there!

The discussions about how to preserve shells, discussions on whether to
collect dead or live, and  what's happening to Peanut Island have been of
particular interest to me. All book and journal references and links given
are gratefully received.

I don't feel I have much to contribute, but it is true a person gets out of
this list what they put in. So I'll throw my 2 cents in:

Collecting container: I collect only dead shells in good condition. I
collect from the beach or snorkeling to 8 feet deep. Usually, I just put the
shells in my pants pocket, or if snorkeling, inside my bathing suit or I
just hold them. I don't collect many at a time, so a container isn't usually
necessary. If I remember to bring a Ziploc, I'm happy.

Elizabeth,
shivering in Maine and can't wait to get to Florida!