From:
makuabob <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 22:41:55 -0500
I have to agree with Kevin about the software making a large
difference in how the scanner seems to perform.

I have a relatively inexpensive color scanner and use it with
Corel Photo-Paint 7.0+ -- it works quite well but there is an
important consideration to bear in mind.

For the best results (in my many hours of scanner experience),
be sure to use good software (per Kevin's comments) AND scan
images at the native resolution of the scanner. This is not
the number usually advertised -- after all, they want you to
buy their machine so the performance is "glitzed up" to seem
truly special.

The native resolution is how many pixel sensors are actually on
the scanning element. In the case of my Scanport Color SQ3000,
that number is 300 dots per inch (dpi). Scanning at this resolution
feeds the "raw" data to the image program without the scanner
software "massaging" it.

This also reduces the problem of "artifacts" in things like
half-tone images. Because this class of image is also created with
distinct spots, there can be problems if its spots and your scanner's
pixel sensors don't match real well.

Unfortunately, it sounds simpler than it really is. There IS a
learning curve as you get acquainted with how your image program,
scanner software, and type of image interact.

Good luck and Aloha.

makuabob (a.k.a. Bob Dayle)