From:
Ken Zentzis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 19:14:56 -0600
My first "real" shell purchasing experience was as a 12 yr. old at the
Minnesota State Fair. I was already interested in the hobby, but had no
real source for anything more than the shellcraft/seashell baskets
available from places like hobby shops, pet stores and Pier 1 Imports.
The dealer's name was Russ "Pirate" Charles, from St. Cloud, MN.  He had
a typical merchandise stand, with a few shells thrown in which caught my
eye. I had never seen an actual Rooster-Tail Conch before, but I knew it
was a rare and much sought after shell. It said so in my well worn
Golden Guide. It cost me a whopping $1.25, a considerable sum for a kid
who had saved money for this annual event (by trapping ground squirrels
at the local cemetery for bounty), and was getting very hungry smelling
the Tiny Tim Donut stand nearby...As it turned out, Russ wasn't much of
a pirate and he sold me many shells which I still have in my collection
today.  Megalacron klaarwateri is #1 in my shell catalog - yes, I had a
"thing" for landshells from the beginning!  He had Papustyla pulcherrima
for a buck a piece (bought more than one - and none too soon, 1972-73
was about the time the ban took effect), Polymita for a quarter each (he
told me he used to buy them by the gallon and make a good profit selling
at 5 cts. ea.), he also had some baby Nautilus pompilius. The only one I
have left is in a Riker mount display I did on the major classes way
back then (yes, it's that small!). He got me interested in learning the
latin names, "We need to be able to communicate effectively as
collectors - the common names don't cut it, and I don't know them.  So
do some research and let me know what you want..." I revisited him many
times over subsequent years. Seems some of the dealers had pet names for
each other back then (I have the feeling that hasn't changed!), Russ
told me he was known as "The Pirate", that Mrs. Hadley (in Mass. I
believe) was "The Sea Hag", and there's another better left unsaid...In
1973 I discovered Richard Kurz, and took off from there.
It takes quite a few more coins these days, doesn't it? What fine
memories!

Ken Zentzis
Wichita, Kansas