From:
Tom Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 09:42:41 -0700
Steve Lonhart wrote:

> Greetings Conch-lers,
>
> I was curious about two points raised by Ross:
>
> 1.  How many collections that are donated to a museum are actually added
> to the shelves, and more importantly, verified?  The California Academy of
> Sciences has collections that are waiting to be added, and most are not
> verified (to my knowledge), mainly due to low staff support, which is a
> shame.  These shells are collecting dust and useless to most people.
>
> 2.  How many collections are sold?

Steve,

Great points!  I have discussed this with a number of museum folks and shell
people.  It would seem most collections end up being sold, even many of those
given to a museum.  Museums often have little use/space/time or whatever to
handle a collection.  Just verifying a small collection such as mine with
about 2,200 different species would take quite some time and more importantly
money.  Most museums seem to be moving away from the "vast collection
repository" type of place to the "educate and entertain with tasteful
exhibits" type of place.  At least this seems true in their choice of
displays.  The back rooms are still full of cabinets and shelves with all
kinds of stuff - but this does the average visitor little good.  A large
collection of donated shells often does not quite fit with present museum
plans and the most expedient way of handling may be to sell it in support of
other museum programs.  I doubt if a single museum has the personnel or the
money to devote to a donated collection without this activity impacting an
ongoing program.  All seem in an almost perpetual state of under funding and
under staffing.  So what is the answer?  Do we just say no?

The folks in the High Desert Shell Club sipped a few beers recently and
discussed this.  We came up with the following.  One member is donating her
collection to the local natural history museum ALONG with the money to
properly catalog and care for the collection.  Another member plans on
donating hers to COA to be used for the annual auction or whatever.  Another
member was going to give their shell collection to the local shell club but it
has disbanded and the member since moved to New Mexico.  I plan on bugging my
kids with "What do we do with all of these shells now the old nut is gone!"
But we all decided there are other things to do before our individual wills
kick in.

1.  We volunteered to update and catalog the shell collection presently at the
museum (mostly from the 1940s with out of date data slips).  They can always
use the help, but don't be upset if they want a little help in another area
instead of just letting just letting these new volunteers fondle shells.

2.  We donated shells (with help from John Bernard of Shelloak and Paul
Monfils of Northeast Natural History Imports) to the museum to use in their
education programs.

3.  Most importantly, we began talking about this subject.  I am sure every
club out there has someone with great ideas and ways to ensure a collection
does not go to waste and to help their local museum -- or for that matter the
national museum (I doubt they are immune to staff and money shortages).

And last, I see nothing wrong with a collection being sold.  Most of the time
this involves a dealer, as most individual collectors are unable to handle a
sale of this size.  The dealer helps the folks who were wondering what to do
with Dad' or Mom's shells.  The dealer makes some money (we want to keep them
going or the lists in the mail and the boxes of rare goodies will dry up).
Many collectors get a chance at a shell or three that they may never get
otherwise.  And the shells find a new home and are properly cared for until
the next "What do we do with these darn shells," issue arises.  A win-win!

Me I like the club idea, then we can all sit around, drink a toast, and
divided the spoils!!  Of course for the rest of you, I like the dealer
option.  After all, who doesn't like seeing the tag, "from an old collection"
or "collection of (you name the family), $300 value for $200" on a dealer's
list.

Well, since I'm not yet about to get rid of my shells, I'll quit running on
and go enjoy my collection (my data base is always in need of an update).

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA