From:
Scott Schubbe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 15:22:25 EST
       Marlo has suggested a great objective. Imagine if all collectors could
combine their self- collecting data, from their primary collecting points,
into one large database. What a great wealth of information that would be.
With the proper guidelines of collecting documentation as he suggested, and
some proper verification of rare finds in areas by others, this compilation
would be a great tool.
      A few weeks ago on Conch-L, there was that thread about species being
found out of their general areas, Smaragdia vidiris near the Florida
panhandle, etc. Wouldn't it be great to see info like that, in book form,
showing even a greater range of where certain species may be found, even
rarely?
      I know I'd buy it. I'd also love to log on to a website hosting this
database, and watch it grow, year after year. I get a kick out of watching the
species list for Peanut Island grow. What about a list like that for the whole
state, or country?

Scott
Tampa