From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 08:42:22 -0500
*My question is, when I add a new shell to the tackle box I always keep
*species separate, of course. But is it ok to put same species, gathered
*in the same locality but at different times, in the same compartment? For
*example, if I have a pecten gathered at Naples Florida in January of
*1998, and another from Naples Florida in January of 1999, do I put them
*in separate compartments, or can I put them together?

Elizabeth,
  In general, lots of material collected at different times, even if
collected at the same place, are kept separate.  This allows one to see
how things may change over time.  However, if you place a number on each
of your shells, then they can be mixed, though the purist in me still does
not like this idea.  Shells that are numbered, Argopecten irradians from
Naples, year 1997.#cfs 1123, can always be separated from A. irradians
from Naples years 1998.#cfs 1178.  I know that many do not like to
"deface" their shells by applying permanent markings, so the alternative
is to put the lable and shells from each lot into an appropriate sized
zip lock poly bag, and then you can mix as many lots as can fit into each
compartment of your plastic box.
 Looking forward to reading other's comments.
  Take care.

Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine