From:
"Julia E. Bishop" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 23:55:37 EST
If the bones seem to be at all oily now, perhaps a prolonged soaking in a
vinegar
bath....2 parts vinegar to 1 part water.    Depending on the size of the
bones,
a week for bones up to an inch in thickness.....and maybe only 2 days for
anything under 1/4 inch.    Vinegar only cuts the grease.   Then allow them to
dry in the sun for whitening.    If they tend to yellow, that indicates the
presence
of oil or grease remaining in the bones.   Some boiling in the vinegar water
might
be in order.    70%  ( just plain rubbing alcohol )  will help some too.  Once
you
have determined that the bones still contain oil,  soak them in the alcohol
for
several days.....then laid out in the sun again.    We had very good results
with
this method when doing some comparative anatomy work for Florida Southern
College in Lakeland, FL back in the 50's.    We also used this method when
cleaning the "scales" ( inside) of a sturgeon fish.    They turned out snow
white as did the earlier comparative anatomy works.

Never combine products containing chlorine and ammonia.   When mixed
together they create a very toxic and harmful gas and fumes.

Julia Bishop
Ft.Lauderdale, FL

 I recently hacked off a whale (I think it is a Minki Whale) fin from the
beach
 in front of my house.  The whale has been there for quite a while.  Since
last
 October. I have cooked it over a propane fire in my back yard.  The stench
was
 awful.  But now I have bones of the fin.  I have soaked them in Clorex and
 then in fresh water and some baking soda to kill the effect of the Clorex.
 Any suggestions??