From:
sylvia edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 11:41:52 -0600
I know from personal observation that TV's emit radiation.  If you disagree,
go to a florist or nursery and buy an expensive houseplant.  Sit it on top
or behind a TV set and watch it die.  It's a lesson you won't forget.

I am assuming the interest in shells absorbing this radiation stems from the
desire to protect the people gathered around it.  A better solution,
especially at a youth hostel, would be to fence in the TV/monitor to prevent
anyone from sitting too close.

I appreciate the little slide out drawers for keyboards for more than one
reason - the second being it prevents me from getting up too close to the
screen and suffering eyestrain as well as radiation.

A suggestion from my ophthalmologist - hold out your arm in front of you and
position yourself somewhere short of your fingers touching the screen.  Then
see your doctor and ask for "computer" glasses.  Hold out your arm and tell
him you want glasses prescribed specifically to focus at that distance only.
You will be amazed at the difference it makes.  My ophthalmologist gave me a
"special" on the second pair of glasses for only $39.95, including frames;
but almost everyone has some old frames lying around.  Get new lenses.

Sylvia Edwards
Huntsville, AL