From:
Paul Monfils <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 13:49:42 -0500
Dear Conch-L'ers,

Several reasons for this posting.  First, apologies to anyone who
expected an E-mail from me the last few days, and didn't receive it.
Second, any E-mail you received from me in the last hour or so, either
privately or through Conch-L, was actually sent a couple of days ago.
That's why some of it is rather redundant, other contributors having
covered some the topics thoroughly over the past couple of days.
Thirdly, a little story - Apparently, none of the E-mail generated by
Rhode Island's largest hospital (where I work) over the last couple of
days ever left the premises, due to some glitch in the server.  This
morning I called the Information Services Department, and informed
them of the problem, and apparently they have corrected it over the
past four hours.  When I called, they still didn't realize there was
a problem.  How did I happen to notice this situation when the 1,500
other computer users in the facility didn't?  By means of a powerful
diagnostic tool that I have and they don't have - Conch-L!  I first
got suspicious when a couple of postings to Conch-L didn't come back
to me.  Then I tried sending myself E-mail from various computer
stations, and none of that arrived either.  However, I was receiving
Conch-L postings from other folks, so I knew the incoming E-mail was
okay, and the problem had to be in the outgoing mail.  I wonder how
long this situation might have persisted if it weren't for Conch-L!
Apparently non of the E-mails were lost, and they all went out in a
flood over the past hour or so.  If you still have not received an
expected E-mail from me, please let me know.  Thanks.

Paul M.