From:
Sue Christensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 13:01:49 MST
     Hi Eduardo-
     I think I received your info on Mexico, but I'm not positive. Did you
     receive a reply from me?

     Sue in Denver

Subject: Re: Vacations in Florida
Author:  Conchologists of America List <[log in to unmask]> at INET
Date:    2/9/98 7:15 PM

GOOOOOD morning to all of you and many thanks to all those who answered my
questions,

> I can heartily recommend a few days in the Sarasota area.
I've never been in Sarasota. It can be a good choice while driving south to
Sanibel and the Keys, but I don't expect to stay too long there. Any
specific hints for 1-2 days? Regarding S.Africa, it is still a dream, Mike,
but I promise that we'll meet soon, since we now have strong ties with a
family in Durban.

> There's a gift shop outside "The Voyage Of The Little Mermaid" at
Disney--MGM Studios where you can get seashells.
Nancy, it was not necessarily the type of shelling that I was thinking
about, but the hint is welcome. In fact, some strategic stops in shell
shops are in my plans... St. Petersburg Beach and Bob Lipe will be also on
my way.

>For beachcombing and shelling for dead shells, sanibel is probably the
best bet.
Harold, Sanibel is in my plans, even knowing that summer is not the best
time for shell collecting there. So, Ze' Leal and Bill Badgley, I'll give
Sanibel all "chances" I have. Good to know that there is at least one Dive
Master in the whole world that collect shells.  ;-))

>My shelling experience has been limited to Sanibel ...  Each year we go
out at low tide on a charter with a lady from the area and she has never
failed to find wonderful shelling spots for us.  I don't know if I'm
supposed to "advertise" for her on the CONCH-L, so if you are interested
Email me privately and I will be happy to share info on how to get in touch
with her.
Vicky, I don't think that it could be understood as advertisement, but if
you feel more confortable, I'll contact you privately.

>To the young lady asking about Marco, my address may have been askew in my
reply, if you want to answer or if there is anything other info I can
provide ...
Michael, I'd appreciate if you could e-mail me those info. Marco Island can
also be an option for me.

>For snorkeling and diving the lower keys down by Bahia Honda are probably
nicest but they would be a drive. If you don't want to drive that far south
try the upper keys.
The Keys are also in my plans. I've been there two times (1990 and 1995)
and I'll return in many opportunities I can find. Driving is not a major
problem since I live in Brasilia, 750 miles far from the closest beach.
Where is allowed to collect live shells and where it is prohibited in the
Keys?

> There are also trips out of key biscayne national underwater park center
which is about an hour and a half south of miami.
People say that diving in Miami is really fine. I never had the opportunity
to try it. Is it allowed to collect shells in the Key Biscayne National
Underwater Park Center? Is there any shore diving there?

> We are putting together a dive trip off of the West Palm Beach Area to
collect. You will get information on this trip soon.
Jim, if the price is affordable and if it happens between July 24 and Aug
8, there is a good chance that join the trip.

Any hints about Ft. Myers, Naples, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami? Peggy, Emilio,
Bob Lipe, Ze' Leal  ... where are the Florida Conch-Lers?

Cheers,

Eduardo