From:
Robert Avent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 10:11:36 -0500
     I don't know what dictionary you're using, but nekton (Greek: nektos,
     "swimming") are NOT large plankton.

     There are plenty of more or less motile pelagic molluscs, (e.g.,
     heteropods and pteropods) that belong much more to the plankton than
     to the nekton.  I don't know what Solariella is, but the only true
     molluscan nekton are the powerfully swimming cephalopods, primarily
     squids and things like Vampyroteuthis infernalis ("vampire squid from
     hell", one of my favorite critters), chambered nautilus, and
     cuttlefish.  Plankton are subject to the movements of water masses.
     Nekton (e.g., fishes, squids, crustaceans, and some think sea turtles
     and marine mammals) swim freely and are typically, but not always
     predators.  Many nekton have planktonic eggs and larvae.  Some nekton
     are largely benthopelagic and scavenge or prey on bottom animals.
     Many of these, although they swim strongly, are often termed
     "demersal".  There are some animals that show some of the
     characteristics of plankton and nekton (e.g., scyphomedusae, a few
     worms and some ophisthobranchs) but none of them show the capability
     of strong sustained swimming and speed enough to avoid predators and
     be predators.  Some plankton, primarily jelly animals, can be huge.
     The ultimate vertebrate nektonic animal might be the sperm whale, and
     the ultimate invertebrate nektonic critters have to be its enemy, the
     giant squids, Architeuthis spp.  Personally, I don't like to see
     pinnipeds and birds compared to the nekton as they have obligate
     periods on land.  Cetaceans?  Well maybe.

     Robert M. Avent, Ph.D.
     Oceanographer