From:
Scott Schubbe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 22:09:49 EST
My son attended his first shell club meeting on Friday, and he had a blast.
Whether it was the great box of fossil shells given to him by Martin, or the
wonderful program put on by the Cordy's, or both, he said he wants to go every
month.

I've heard his friends comment on his fossils, but when it comes to shells,
they all say the same thing- "I think it's cool the way you're dad takes you
out to get these shells." How sad for them, that their parents don't. Most
wind up taking some of Mitch's shells home with them, and their parents
compliment me on my shell case in my dining room. One parent stated she hates
the sand, and will not go to the beach. Another guy told his kid that he had
enough stuff, and he couldn't have any. One seemed grossed out and said "I
wouldn't let my kid pick up things with slime in them".These kids are  science
nuts, and in the gifted science program at school. Maybe they would be future
collectors if their parents spent a little time nuturing their interests.

In the last couple months, we've heard from some teachers, requesting shells
for their classrooms. I wonder what is the percentage of schools that actually
have a tiny collection? About 10 months ago, Paul Monfils generously donated a
large box of shells that I dispersed to the local day care center, and the
gifted science class at Mitch's school. The teachers and the kids were
thrilled.

A week or two ago, someone posted ( I think Bill Frank) that many kids, not
that far from the beach, have still never been to the beach. How true and how
sad.

So maybe in this age of video games,  television, computers (hey, these all
are now babysitters) it may have something to do with the parents becoming
involved in encouraging their kids to pursue the simple thrill of shelling a
beach somewhere.
I didn't take my son to the smelly mud flat first! By the way, he is also a
Nintendo master. And I didn't offer him the option of playing Nintendo the
whole time I was at the shell meeting if he didn't go. Just being honest.

Scott
Florida