From:
Ankistro Desmus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:57:50 EST
In a message dated 3/15/99 10:41:02 PM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> What possible diference would it make
>  if no-one collected for 200 years?

Right.  It makes no difference to the survival of species... they'll always be
there (assuming no species go extinct between now and then <g>).  One aspect
of the hobby that would be impacted, however, is economics.  The hobby does
have an industry embedded into it (dealers, shell clubs, publications, etc.).
These would (are?) suffer from a decline in the number of hobbyist.  I'm not a
dealer or involved in the economics of the hobby so I don't know if there has
been a decline in the aspect of the hobby.

Also, some collectors may wish to sell their collections and if there is no
demand for shells, the collections become devalued to all but a museum.  I
don't collect shells as an investment so again, I really don't know if this
last point is very important.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks to everyone for their excellent input on this topic!!

GG