From:
Sylvia Mail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 20:01:02 -0600
My first reaction to all this banter about staying on subject (or what an
individual considers to be the subject, not necessarily mine or the
majority), and now some more of this of people who will post things to a
listserve they would never say to one's face - was to signoff Conch-L for a
while.

But that attitude is wrong.  You and I belong here as much as anyone.  I
don't get a lot out of the highly scientific discussion of conchologists,
malachologists, biologists, but I do scan their messages and am sure I pick
up something new from time to time.  I am confident that the more
academic-minded also learn something from me.  In this world we all have to
get along with less than agreeable people.  I avoid them face-to-face, but
the delete button works fine for me on the Internet.  Let them rant and
rave, but don't let them dominate or intimidate you.  Everyone has personal
preferences, and just because discussions of flying pigs offend some people,
don't let them decide what you are going to get from the listserve.  All
have a right to speak their mind.  Let them; ignore if you don't agree.

In a nutshell, if you find something offensive, ignore it.  It will shortly
die if it provokes no response.  We all know that don't we?  The best
revenge.....

Sylvia Edwards
Huntsville AL

True, we have Conch-L because COA exists.  But let me remind everyone lest
they have forgotten.  We have Conch-L because of the generosity of the
University of Georgia, and the people who donate their time - COA members or
not.  In fact, I once heard that COA wasn't all that excited about even
having a web page.