From:
Paul Monfils <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:29:13 -0500
Tom Eichhorst  wrote: <I assume Art will be back with his pigs as they
are definitely related to shells -- it is a shell guy who talks about
them after all.>

Tom, the fact that Art is a shell guy doesn't necessarily mean that
pigs are shell-related.  However, if you look into the issue more
deeply, I'm sure you will have to conclude, as I have, that a real
relationship does exist between porcine aeronautics and molluscan
matters.  For example, take the land snail HelicoSTYla pitHOGaster.
Can it be a mere conicidence that this single molluscan name includes
two obvious porcine references?    Then there is Conus ximenes
maHOGani, Conus litHOGlyphus, and the land snail genus
HelmintHOGlypta.  Need I say more?  OK, I will.  Macroceras
cresPIGnyi is a little land snail from the Philippines.  Many of us
are familiar whth the common genera HAMinoea and CHAMa, as well as
Calliostoma cunningHAMi, Cypraea HAMmondae, and Fulgoraria HAMillei.
Oh - and let's not forget Siphonaria BACONi.  Porcine habitat has been
repeatedly commemorated in such names as STYliola, Terebra STYlata,
and Xanthomelon pachySTYlum.  Not to be overlooked is Latiaxis
nakayaSUI.  And, as final irrefutable evidence, consider the
overwheming number of shell names followed by the name SOWerby.  I
rest my case.
Paul M.