From:
"Joan F. Koven" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 10:40:49 EST
"Biota", a database for biodiversity management based on 4th Dimension, was
designed by a U. of Connecticut professor of botany, Robert Colwell and set up
for phylogenetic information as well as all collection, location, etc. data,
and can include digital photographs in each record, and notes.  Information
can be sorted at any level.
Although designed with botanical records in mind, it is changeable  in a
number of ways.  My only problems with it so far: 1.) labels that include all
the information I want/need, are too large for small specimens in the Biota
program, so I export that data to Filemaker Pro where I use my own label
format.  Information can also be exported into Excel easily. 2) when I prints
lists of collection sites is changes all of my Lat/Long numbers from
minutes/degrees/decimal seconds to minutes with decimal minutes and seconds
which is not useful for me.  Hopefully he'll change that in the next version.
Dr. Colwell was very helpful  as I began working with the program.
http://viceroy.eeb.uconn.edu/Biota
I have about 3500 specimens entered to date....another 7 or 8,000 to go inthis
collection.