From:
The Campbells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 06:13:41 -0600
Jennifer, Pacific side of Baja is very different. The water is cold this
time of year, 50-65 degrees F typically, although it warms up to 80+ in
summer. Shell fauna is mix of northern and southern forms, abalones and
murexes, for example. Because the coastline is often rocky and the surf
rough, beach shelling is hit or miss. I was there in February (as far south
as Bahia Magdalena) and we saw few "special" shells. Much better shelling in
summer and on Gulf side. Check out old scallop dumps near Playa Coyote south
of Mulege or snorkel anywhere in Bahia Concepcion. Even the Gulf waters were
much colder in February than normal. Wetsuit is definitely advisable.

Doug Campbell
Wilson, Wyoming