From:
"Frank S. Walker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 23:03:57 EST
I believe that most of the problem with declaring value is that if we want to
be honest, the value of shells is only to a few, select individuals, and even
they often disagree.

Unlike most items of value, that have a large acceptance among the general
population, out great hobby is only enjoyed by a very small percentage of the
total population. Most valuables, are just that. They have world wide
accepted value or afford a higher standard of living. Name one shell that
meets that description? To the vast majority, shells have NO value and the
idea that anyone would spend more than a few dollars on a shell, must mean
that they are certifiable.

Unlike most valuables that are put away, locked up, or create a better life
style, shells are usually on display. Taken out and shown and/or played with.
Many of my customers like to tell me that they enjoy playing with their
shells. I have found that this means different things to different people.

I do not believe that I am lying when I put "No commercial value" on the
customs declaration, because in fact, except for a few of us crazies, they
have "No commercial value." I am not splitting hairs. Do we really think
we're pulling the wool over the heads of every government in the world and
have been doing it for years? I think not. If they did not agree and if we
were to lie, then we would be calling them something other than shells.

Frank Walker
Gems From The Sea
72 Peltier Street, Marlborough, MA 01752 USA
BUY - SELL - TRADE - Gift Certificates Available
"Quality Specimen Sea Shells & Shell Crafts"
We Have World Wide Contacts - Send Want Lists
(508) 481-7491; Fax: (508) 624-9778; out-of- state 1-800-497-3601
E-mail: [log in to unmask]   Web Site: http://surf.to/seagems
We accept ALL major credit cards!