From:
"Frank S. Walker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 08:56:13 EDT
Rather strong words and I don't think the entire text of my comments were
taken into consideration. The determination that using the comment "No
commercial value" is not lying was NOT based solely on the fact that few
people are willing to pay for them. We are talking about a hobby. What about
butterflies, grasshoppers or other sorts of collectibles that have fans, who
give them value, but No commercial value. Many collectibles do have
commercial value. Coins, gem stones, and the like do have universal value.
Appeal has nothing to do with value. I don't have to like coins, but offer me
a rare one at a bargain value and watch how quickly I buy. (Or anyone else,
even if it doesn't have appeal to them). Offer a rare shell at a bargain
price to most anyone, other than another collector, and they will give you a
funny look.

Taxes poaid on income, has nothing to do with commercial value. Commercial
value in the context of customs, applies to the use of the product after it
is received and the value it has in that use. How are shells used in a
commercial context to generate addition income or value? How do they increase
they standard of living of the new owner? Or what is the accepted value on
the open market as a tradable commodity?

Again, I repeat, customs inspectors, postal authorities, government officials
all are aware of the comment we use "Sea Shells, For Scientific Study, No
Commercial Value" If we were in FACT lying, are all these people ignorant and
stupid? I think not. The reason there is no movement afoot to get around this
supposed loop hole, is because it is not considered a loop hole by them, JUST
us! I think it makes us think we're getting away with something. And don't
throw in the endangered species act. It is valid and has nothing to do with
commercial value. People that deal in endangered species are the ones we
should be going after. Time to put this to rest and get off that guilty kick
that I've been told most of us are on!

Frank Walker
Gems From The Sea
72 Peltier Street, Marlborough, MA 01752 USA
BUY - SELL - TRADE - Gift Certificates Available
"Quality Specimen Sea Shells & Shell Crafts"
(508) 481-7491; Fax: (508) 624-9778; out-of- state 1-800-497-3601
E-mail: [log in to unmask]   Web Site: http://surf.to/seagems
We accept ALL major credit cards!