From:
Patty Jansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 20:14:25 +1000
Dear all,

Just about at the same time Art asked his hurricane question, we narrowly
missed out on facing that question in real life. On Wednesday night, the
heavens opened and pelted parts of Sydney with hail stones the size of rock
melons (not joking). The destruction is incredible. An aerial photograph of
one of the affected areas resembles photographs from a war zone. Roofs
caved in, cars demolished, windows smashed. We just got heavy rain. But for
five minutes or so, there was something in the air that made me think of
the question that Art was to ask (maybe he did so by telepathy): what would
you try to rescue first?

I think I would bring some rare books, my zip disks with all my
shell-related work and my slides of live animals. Oh yes, I would run to
the shell cabinet and grab just one shell: my Clanculus granti, of which
there are only 10 or so known in the world.

I am just happy to have missed out!

Patty
WWW: http://www.capricornica.com

Capricornica Publications               on-line natural history bookshop
P.O. Box 345
Lindfield NSW 2070

phone/fax: 02 9415 8098 international: +61 2 9415 8098

E-mail: [log in to unmask]