From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 16:48:59 -0600
Good point.  I guess I should clarify.
In photography, for landscape photography in particular, the part of the photo
that has the "central" or core feature is placed about two thirds over to one
side and about a third from the top or bottom of the frame, so as not to place
it smack-dab in the middle of the frame.  For some reason this is not usually
pleasing to the eye. Of course this is only a guideline. Sometimes the
background is nice, but hasn't any single feature of importance, and a
foreground feature is placed in the bottom 1/3 of the frame, 2/3s over
horizontally.  Horizons are usually 2/3 up or down, and not exactly halfway
also.  Of course this all depends on what the photographer thinks looks good.
I usually only pay a semi-conscious attention to the guideline when I frame a
shot.  And in wildflower photography, one often has to go for smack-dead center
to get the proper focus.  Whenever I look at nice landscapes or other pictures
I often look at how the photographer has framed his composition, and the "rule
of thirds" shows up a lot.
There seems something a bit "magical" about threes (three wishes, three
charcters per joke etc.  I was once told that speakers like to give 3 points to
illustrate an idea because our minds are comfortable with 3's).
Oh, and thanks for the free tips on decorating and floral arrangements!  You
sound like a very artistic person.
Nora