From:
Kay Lavalier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 1999 12:29:06 -0400
Andrew Vik
Tampa, FL., USA

I guess I'll add my own worst shelling horror story to the list. I was down in the
keys about ten years ago with some friends, none of whom were shellers. My pal
Rick licked to snorkel though, and he was usually in the water near me. At the end
of the week, everyone else headed back for Tampa. I stayed behind for one more
afternoon of snorkeling before going to my cousins place in Ft. Lauderdale the
next day. I stopped at Teatable Key to see what was there. On my way out, I saw
dozens of those "upside down" jellyfish basking tentacle side up on the seagrass
bed. I was in the water for quite a while and the tide dropped a couple feet
before my return. Anyone who has been to the keys can tell you how deep the muck
can get under the seagrass,  and walking through it in flippers is about
impossible. I had to do a number of  push ups through about 30 feet of grass in 1
foot of water to get back to the channel. As I was putting my gear away, I started
to feel very warm. It was then that I remembered all those jellyfish in the grass.
I had been stung all over. Having been stung many times in the past, I didn't
think much of it. I got some carry out food and went back to the hotel. By the
time I got in the door, I was starting to feel very nauseous. Then I broke out in
cold chills and had to vomit up the cold water I had just consumed. I got the
phone book, sat down on the bed, and started to look for a doctor nearby. That's
the last thing I remember till I woke up the next day, about three hours later
than I had planned. I had passed out, the phone book was still next to me, and my
dinner was on the table, untouched. I could have bit the dust that night with no
one to find me till the maid showed up the next day. I try my best not to go out
alone these days. But on the upside, I did find some nice marginellas before I got
stung.

Andrew