From:
"Harry G. Lee, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 07:28:25 -0400
Tom and Andrew,

Shouldn't we terminate these species names with "a?"  Example:
Cipangopaludina malleata.  I think the "us" is a vestige of erstwhile
assignment to the genus Viviparus.

Harry

At 07:03 AM 5/10/99 -0400, you wrote:
>At 04:36 PM 5/7/99 -0400, you wrote:
>> Thomas:
>>
>> Actually, I think that Cipangopaludina malleatus and C. japonicus are two
>> unique species from Asia which have both been introduced to the U.S. Burch
>> (North American Freshwater Snails, 1989, p.88) illustrates both. We have C.
>> japonicus here in Hillsborough County, but no malleatus. Thompson
>(Freshwater
>> Snails of Florida, 1984, p.11) said that C. malleatus had been introduced
>here
>> (St. Petersburg) in the 1920's, but has not been found since. Apparently he
>> did not know about our C. japonicus, which he does not list in his book
>>
>> Andrew
>

>I agree. In Ohio, C. japonicus is widespread in large rivers, whereas I have
>only seen malleatus from a few reservoirs. Assuming these have been released
>from aquaria by owners who never dreamed these little snails would grow to the
>size of a Yugo, I have yet to find one of the "golden" (albino) forms so
>prevalent at pet stores. Perhaps they do not breed true.

> G Thomas Watters
Harry G. Lee
mailto: [log in to unmask]
Suite 500, 1801 Barrs Street
Jacksonville, FL  32204
U. S. A.    904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm