From:
Sérgio Ávila <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 13:31:08 +0000
Hello

My name is Sergio Avila and I do my research at the University of the
Azores (São Miguel island, Azores, we are located in the middle of the
North-Atlantic).
My main research is about the shallow-water Rissoidae of the Azores
(systematics, ecology, zonation), but other interests are also the
biogeographical relationships of the shallow-water malacofauna of this
Archipelago.
Some problems have arosen as a result of  these studies. Notwithstanding
the predominant set of the surface currents in the North Atlantic be from
west to the east, that is from North America to Europe, the molluscan fauna
of the Azores (as it happens also in the Porifera, algae, crustaceans,
fishes and so many other phyla) are much more related to the Europe than to
America.
Although of vulcanic origin, fortunately we have an island in the Azores
(Santa Maria) that is partially of sedimentary origin (it was once under
water), so we have fossils. Recently, I was given the opportunity to study
these fossils, but I am having lots of difficulties in the identification
of the specimens.
My questions thus, are:
1) does anybody know any data about the Miocene fossils of Santa Maria?
2) any good book to begin, related with the marine Gastropod and Bivalve
fossils of Europe?
3) does anybody know any expert in this field?

Thanks for your interest

Sérgio

 Sergio Avila, Dr.
 Departament of Biology