From:
"Frank S. Walker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 11:01:11 EDT
In many cases, I don't think it is a questions of exercising restraint when
we collect, but of just finding the little critters. Then, from the fact that
we can't find them, calling them rare.

I would guess that one's own life experiences help shape beliefs and
especially opinions. Over 20 years ago, while on Okinawa one of the rarest
(there's that word again) shells from there was the Conus dusaveli. At the
time only a hand full of specimens were know world wide. Some divers I know
went on a mission to find the shell and after several months came to me with
two live finds they found at 220 feet, at night. Not having the kind of money
it would take to buy one of the shells, but since I was getting ready to
return to the US, I traded my car for one of the shells. Now within the next
year they started coming up out of the Philippines and the price fell to
under $1000. Within two years the price was down to $400 to $600 and today as
people know, they go for under $200. Today, many people aren't even aware
that the shell was ever found on Okinawa. So I must admit that this
experience has influenced my opinion to a certain degree, but it's only an
opinion and as such doesn't fall into the category of having to defend itself
from other equally as good opinions.

I think that often we let pride of authorship get in the way and we look at
others who's opinions differ as attackers at the gate, when in fact nothing
is further from the truth. Just don't confuse opinion with proven facts, and
have a great day. Best wishes,

Frank W.