Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 12:01:25 EDT
Art,
        I agree with your statement.  However, Ph.D. candidates are supposed
to be under the direction of Academic advisors who are supposed to know
better.  I fear that when it comes to the Evolution/Creation debate, both
sides have become so entrenched in proving their point, defending their
position and attacking each other that science overall has been the ultimate
victim.  I was always taught that science was the search for truth.
Evolutionists and creationists both claim to have the truth and both can cite
numerous "scientific" evidences to support their claims.  As far as science
is concerned, both are simply theories (I am sure I upset both camps with
that statement).  All of us come to the table with our own biases.  I have my
own bias as much as anyone.  It is important we recognize our own biases and
compensate for them to insure that our work is honest and objective.  It is
important that we come to the table as seekers rather than philosophers
defending a creed.  From the seventh grade on, that is what I was taught that
science was all about.  Is science no longer about objectivity or has it been
reduced to simple rhetoric?

Doug Shelton
Alabama Malacological Research Center
2370-G Hillcrest Road #236