Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:46:15 EDT
Andrew,
        Your mention of poison ivy prompts a response from me; one which I am
sure will be of interests to other collectors.  As a child and teenager I was
highly allergic to poison ivy, etc.  This continued even into adulthood.
However, a few years ago a friend of mine in the Coast Guard gave me a supply
of vials of Poison Ivy/Poison Oak extract.  One vial (about 1/2 dram) was
mixed with one glass of water wand taken orally.  I did this once and still
nearly more than six years later have not had a reaction to poison ivy/oak
though I have walked through forests barelegged that were carpeted with it.
It was my understanding this was for general military use, but I cannot find
it in any military surplus store and presently I have no contacts with the
military.  Does anyone know where this "miracle drug" might be purchased or
otherwise obtained.  My kids are highly allergic and I would like to give
them the same relief I have been fortunate enough to have received.  I am
sure there are other CONCH-Lers with similar needs.

Doug Shelton
Alabama Malacological Research Center
2370-G Hillcrest Road #236
Mobile, AL 36695  USA