Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 11:47:42 +0000
Dear Conch-Lers,

Correct me if I'm wrong -- and I'm sure someone will -- but
didn't the discussion of pork start, when this list was
young and we were all friends, with a fascinating
explanation of the species name "porcellanus" for either a
venus or a cowrie, so called in Italian? The archives may
bear this out but as I recall the species resembled a little
pig, hence the Italian appellation. Then, I guess the
discussion just took off, so to speak.

Had I consulted Rosalie before I sent this, I'm sure my
memory would have appeared more exact.

The best to all,

John