Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 17:29:20 EDT
I agree with Tom a misprint is likely. Also as likely is that they were sent
to a dealer mislabeled. As dealer I am often at the mercy of my suppliers. I
cannot be an expert in all families and although I have a very good library,
many families are poorly represented in print or photo.

If you are going to buy, sell or trade shells, then getting a new copy of
Rice's prices is a must every year. No Tom did not pay me to say that, but I
can tell you I have seen the prices on some shells drop hundreds in one year
and I have seen the prices raise (not as much) considerable in the same year.
Remember this is truly a supply and demand commodity. That is why the prices
sometimes don't make sense. If everyone wants one, even if available, it will
keep the price up and if it is extremely rare, but there are few takers, the
price (under the circumstances) will seem fairly reasonable.

PS I keep all my old copies of Rice's and it's interesting some times to do a
search on a certain shell.

Frank Walker
Gems From The Sea
72 Peltier Street, Marlborough, MA 01752 USA
BUY - SELL - TRADE - Gift Certificates Available
"Quality Specimen Sea Shells & Shell Crafts"
(508) 481-7491; Fax: (508) 624-9778; out-of- state 1-800-497-3601
E-mail: [log in to unmask]   Web Site: http://www.shellgems.com
We accept ALL major credit cards!