From:
John Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 10:25:04 -0400
According to Abbott (American Seashells, p. 221/plate 12) Melongena corona
johnstonei Clench and Turner, 1956 is found from Alabama to northwest
Florida, and is elongate, shoulder tabulate or flattened, spines erect,
color dark.

In my experience, while M. corona is quite variable in all conchological
aspects, it is generally more ovate than the subspecies johnstonei.  As for
color, corona ranges from albino to very dark.

There are three other M. corona subspecies: bicolor (Say, 1927) ranging from
Miami to the Dry Tortugas; bisinosa (Philippi, 1844) in Yucatan, Mexico; and
altispira Pilsbry and Vanatta, 1934 from St. Augustine to Marco Island, FL
but Abbott says this may be only an ecologic form.

As for the soft parts, someone else will have to answer that.

John

John & Cheryl Jacobs
Seffner, FL